Need to talk?
08000 562 561
Call us. We'll listen.

When you call you’ll talk to a qualified counsellor. We’ll offer you immediate, confidential emotional support. 

Don’t wait for a crisis to call

08000 562 561

We’ve been supporting the education sector for over 145 years and understand the challenges you face.

(If you cannot get through on the freephone number please use this number: 0208 987 6212)


People supported by our helpline

Teachers and education staff can call us to talk through all kinds of concerns including:

  • Managing difficult feelings or situations
  • Advice on boundary setting and self-care
  • Getting the best out of your work relationships
  • Planning for or processing difficult conversations
  • Any challenging personal matter
  • And we’re also here if you simply need to vent!

Sue works in a pastoral role at a sixth form college. After a traumatic safeguarding incident took a big emotional toll, she called our helpline and spoke to one of our qualified counsellors. Sue said:

Download our poster for your staffroom
Helpline poster
I knew I needed to talk it through with someone outside of the situation soon after it happened.

Elizabeth, an experienced SEN teaching assistant called when she recognised she was struggling with a demanding workload on top of her husband and daughter both being seriously ill. She said:

The helpline counsellor gave me permission to feel what I was feeling. Get in touch as soon as you feel things aren’t right. The call really helped me.

Helpline FAQs

What happens when I call?

The helpline team will find out why you are calling and choose the best person for you to speak to. Depending on your needs they might:

  • deal with your call personally and offer emotional support straight away
  • connect you to one of our other services such as grants or information
  • assist with referral for long term treatment (for example, to your GP)
What does it cost to call?

08000 numbers are free from UK landlines and mobiles.

Who will I be talking to?

Our qualified counsellor will ask some questions to find out more about your situation and might help you set some short term goals to find a way forward.

If you need counselling, you’ll be speaking to one of our qualified British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) counsellors.

If you call between the hours of 8pm and 8am you’ll receive support from outside the UK.

Is it completely confidential?

Yes. We’ll only break confidentiality if:

  • there’s a risk to your own health and safety, or to that of others; or
  • if you’ve been involved in a crime
Are there online options?

Yes, you can access our services by email or live chat.

Who can call the helpline?

Any serving, former or retired member of staff who has worked in any part of the education sector including but not limited to Early Years, Primary, Secondary, Further, Higher, Adult and/or Prison education sector.

Can I talk to someone in Welsh or other languages?

We support over one hundred additional languages through active translation. A full list is available here.

If you wish to be supported in a different language when you call, you will be offered a translator and/or an available counsellor who speaks the requested language. If this is not possible immediately, we will arrange a call back from a counsellor who speaks the requested language. 

Can I call from the Channel Islands where I can't use 08000 numbers?

Yes. We have an alternative number for callers who don't have access to 08000 numbers. Use 020 8987 6212 instead.

Can I speak to someone if I have difficulty hearing?

Yes. You can talk to an advisor through our email or live chat. 

Who do I call if my school or college has an Employee Assistance Programme

If your school or organisation has purchased an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) please call the numbers provided on your leaflets and wallet cards to access the full range of additional services offered.

If you don't have the number contact with the name of your organisation and postcode.